guess what guess whaaaaat! I am now offering both of my VMF (2010 + 2011) zines as .PDFs!
As I go through and try to “clean up” my website, I deleted a bunch of the VMF 2010 entries - so now this zine is the only way to get all of them. I even went back and deleted parts of the embarrassing intros and updated a few recipes in both zines! Basically, this is the superior version. No shipping to pay for… no waiting for mail to arrive… and I will email you your copy within 24 hours. NICE. Enjoy the (nearly) instant gratification.
Because I love you, I’m gonna give away two sets so you can have each one! Just like or RT this post as many times as you like (one? two? a bajillion?) and every time counts as an entry. You must have your ask box open, because I need to let you know you won. I’ll pick two winners on Monday, December 24th by 12 PM PST. Merry Christmas~
You thought I forgot about this blog, right? I’ve been travelling around and forget to take pictures of my food before I eat it. That, or it’s not terribly exciting. Take right now, for instance: I’m munching on a bowl of brown rice pasts + peas + olive oil + balsamic vinegar with iced coffee. It’s filling but not exactly something I think anyone else cares about.
But whatever! Here’s some stuff I’ve eaten this month:
ARTICHOKE + OLIVE OIL WITH LEMON AND MUSTARD + GREEN TEA
AVOCADO AND GRAPEFRUIT SALAD WITH MACADAMIA BITS AND ARUGULA
I got this at the airport in San Francisco, which is one of my favorite airports to eat at! There’s fresh, free springwater available, tons of veggie options and I can buy kombucha. Love it. The salad, however, wasn’t the best. There was too much raw arugula in it, so halfway through I felt like I was eating burnt rubber. Mix some spinach in there and it’d be golden.
Lots of lazy breakfasts. Just some Udi’s protein bread with almond butter or smashed avocado. Also, my daily glass of green tea.
ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS + MUSTARD + MAYO + SODA
I have always felt mayo is kind of gross but T loves it. Blue Sky diet sodas are made with stevia and erythritol, so that’s what I buy when I want a rum & coke.
Hahaha, almost! It was my birthday last weekend. I like ice cream more than any other desert so we grabbed a pint of this and headed to the beach. I’d never tried So Delicious’ Almond Milk ice cream - well, I’ve tried their almond bites and they’re heavenly, though their almond line is a bit higher in sugar than what I usually eat. But… anything goes on your birthday. :)
Gluten-free, dairy-free pizza! Everything I ever dreamed about! *swoon* T bought Bob’s Red Mill GF Pizza Crust Mix when I told him I wanted pizza for my birthday. I really loved this Cool Ranch Chicken pizza from back when we lived in Washington. It turns out he loved it back in high school, too. So we covered the dough with homemade cashew dill ranch sauce, Daiya cheese, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, diced onions and Quorn Chick’n Tenders. Yeah, they’re not vegan. But it’s my birthdaaaaaaay. And it was fuckin’ awesome. Bonus: T, who eats everything, was super impressed by the GF pizza dough! I think we’ll be eating more Bob’s Red Mill mixes.
Yummy stuff from this week! I ate some wheat, which I’ve been really careful not to over-do. I usually avoid grains - wheat especially - but on the price scale one cup of flour is a lot more affordable than one cup of almonds, so… oh well for now.
1) Breakfast toasts. I was really excited to have mashed avo + toast but it turned out the avocado was SPOILED and my whole day was RUINED. Nah jk I put almond butter & banana on mine and a fried egg for T. I also had Amande cherry yogurt (it’s on sale right now yayayay my favorite) and made us both green tea.
2) Fried rice is the easiest! I made this old vegan mofo recipe of mine exactly but with no mushrooms, and accidentally added a SHIT TON of smoked paprika. That made it taste uncannily like bibimbap though, it was so good!
3) Green smoothies almost every day - this one is banana + frozen strawberries + strawberry Amande yogurt + almond milk + spinach + almond butter.
4) Grilled cheese: sprouted whole-grain bread and Daiya, mmm
5) I made boiled baking soda pretzels! And one little grain-free vegan pretzel for me, made out of almond meal and tapioca flour.
6) Then we took our pretzels and smothered them in Jackfruit & lentil bbq mash (gotta get in on that Memorial Day BBQ tradition somehow) and more cheese. T got the real pretzel with real cheese and I took the GF one with Daiya.
Here’s some stuff I ate in the past two days!
1) These peanuts. THESE PEANUTS. I can’t get enough of them. It’s nice to have a high-protein snack around! They’re covered in tapioca and *don’t have any soy or msg!!!* (really hard to find in an asian snack food) so they fit my bill.
2) Avocados are so plentiful around here. And incorporating one into a meal is a great way to stay sated thanks to all the healthy fats n shit, so T and I eat them a lot. Avo + cheap pico de gayo + cumin + lemon juice = quick guacamole. Also getting local salsa is just $0.50 more than Trader Joe’s and way more delicious, so pair that up with some plantain chips and I’m good.
3) Mystery cheap soup! Rice noodles, cost fifty cents, fake chicken flavoring?? Also no msg or soy again, score! It was kind of bleh but for that cheap I might stock up. Also pictured, vodka + orange/peach/mango juice from Trader Joe’s which is just a quick jaunt up the street.
4) We also live right down the block from a neat little Asian market, so I can get cool veggie-friendly stuff. Like canned green jackfruit in water.
5) And then I turn around and turn that jackfruit into mock-pork carnitas! I don’t have all the ingredients other recipes call for since we just moved and my pantry is bare - oregano? Mexican coke? Cinnamon? - but I doctored them up good and the result was great. Definitely not umami enough, but once I broiled and crisped it all up in the oven it hit the shredded-smokey-sweet craving. And they were even better the next day, so I think I’ll make all jackfruit recipes a day in advance and then crisp ‘em up when it’s time to eat.