Here’s some stuff I ate in the past two days!
1) These peanuts. THESE PEANUTS. I can’t get enough of them. It’s nice to have a high-protein snack around! They’re covered in tapioca and *don’t have any soy or msg!!!* (really hard to find in an asian snack food) so they fit my bill.
2) Avocados are so plentiful around here. And incorporating one into a meal is a great way to stay sated thanks to all the healthy fats n shit, so T and I eat them a lot. Avo + cheap pico de gayo + cumin + lemon juice = quick guacamole. Also getting local salsa is just $0.50 more than Trader Joe’s and way more delicious, so pair that up with some plantain chips and I’m good.
3) Mystery cheap soup! Rice noodles, cost fifty cents, fake chicken flavoring?? Also no msg or soy again, score! It was kind of bleh but for that cheap I might stock up. Also pictured, vodka + orange/peach/mango juice from Trader Joe’s which is just a quick jaunt up the street.
4) We also live right down the block from a neat little Asian market, so I can get cool veggie-friendly stuff. Like canned green jackfruit in water.
5) And then I turn around and turn that jackfruit into mock-pork carnitas! I don’t have all the ingredients other recipes call for since we just moved and my pantry is bare - oregano? Mexican coke? Cinnamon? - but I doctored them up good and the result was great. Definitely not umami enough, but once I broiled and crisped it all up in the oven it hit the shredded-smokey-sweet craving. And they were even better the next day, so I think I’ll make all jackfruit recipes a day in advance and then crisp ‘em up when it’s time to eat.